FAQ - Research and consulting.
1) How much do you charge for research and consulting?
Ha - my favourite answer: it depends! It really does though. My rates for research start at $25 per hour and I do negotiate big project rates. Also, if you're looking for information in one of my areas (see below) it will cost you less because much of that's already done so you make good use of the hour(s),
2) What are your specialty areas?
I already warned you, I love research but my real passions are (and yes, there's a list and in no particular order):
* small holding/crofting/sustainability
*earth based spirituality
* Northern European history - from domestic arts to livestock (especially North Atlantic)
*gardens (especially vegetable and herb)
* textiles generally
* herbal history
* sheep (especially primitive and textile breeds)
* goats (especially primitive and textile breeds)
* cultural holidays
* domestic arts/domestic history
* early and late modern history (largely European, Canadian, and domestic - as in home arts)
The Woodsman suggests that I stop the list and just put "all things that are researchable".
3) What types of projects have you worked on?
First let me qualify (you'll see why this is very important in just a sec) I am a qualitative researcher. I have experience in programme evaluation, ethnography, heuristic methodology (both Moustakas' and Sandy Sela- Smith's models), phenomenology, and just about to get a big tune up in grounded theory (independent study starting this winter).
I have experience in everything from medical research to non-profit programme evaluations as larger projects. For individuals, I've helped to collect and compile data on everything from the traditions of Mongolian yurt/ger construction to livestock breeds that suit a particular set of requirements to data for a lit review on the topic of the importance of the kitchen in the Victorian house.
4) In what format does the research come to me?
It depends on what we negotiate. When I am doing a programme evaluation that's been contracted by a Board of Directors and will impact agency direction, and potentially, funding, I put together a tidy package complete with a slide show of the key findings etc.
Some people want a written report with the data - complete with a title page and contents. Some people would like an email with some links or bullet points. We'll work together so you can figure out what it is that you want and/or need (this is where my therapist training comes in very handy). And then we'll make that happen.
5) Will you please write my paper/thesis/dissertation for me?
In a word? No.
Sound intriguing? Contact me and we'll start planning.